Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Community > planetArmor General

planetArmor General General and Off Topic

Old 04-17-2004, 07:35 PM

Just got back from the AAF Tank Museum in Danville, VA. They had a lecture and display by Mr. Phillip Eckman on "The Bicycle Goes To war" today. Chris Wilson (Donovan) came up with his pal Taylor and they spent a good deal of time with Bill Glasser, the owner of the museum. I had my kids, so had to leave way earlier than I would have liked to. Chris got some good shots of the Panzer PF, Bill even open the dooirs and let him take some inside shots.

But I took some shots of a vehicle that was used extensively in both World Wars and by the NVA in Vietnam too. Being a cyclist, I spent a full third of my time talking to Mr. Eckman and tellin' army lies (er stories)! :lol:

Anyhow, hope you treadies enjoy this little side piece; it ain't armor, it ain't figure, and it ain't aircraft. but it's importance has been fairly undocumented in the annals of war.

1896 Peugeot: one of the first bicycles used by the military, this bike was invisioned by the French as sort of a rolling calvary. The seat was mounted directly over the rear wheel so that a soldier could dismount and have both feet on the ground in a shooting position. Needless to say, the slaughter by machine guns in the first World War put this concept to rest.

1900 and 1904 Colombia: Colombia was the premier bike manufactorer at the turn of the century in the US. These two were used by US Army messengers.

1914 Peugeot: Used by the French as messengers and scouts during the Great War.

1942 Arnold Schwinn: used by general staff messengers to carry documents to other staff officers.

1942 Colombia: used by US forces in England for messenger service.

1944 Colombia Folding Bike: Offered to Paratroopers and Marines, the Marines were the only outfit to use them (in the Pacific Theater). The bikes had folding handlebars and frames so that a grunt could carry it on their backs for landings and portage.

1944 Schwinn Navy Transport Bike: used on ships and on shore to transport small items and messages.

1968 NVA transport bike (maker unknown): Used by the NVA, these bikes would sometimes be loaded with trailers of ammo for NVA troops. Charlie had to have some powerful legs to pull the 100 + pounds these bikes were used to pull.

Red
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-17-2004, 09:41 PM
vBench

What the hell are you doin' here!!! Thanks for the pics... I like bikes too... although probably not as much as you do... Here is a pic of one modeller's, (Mirko Bayerl) use of a scale model bike to add some flavour to a vehicle, a reconnissance vehicle known as a Sd.Kfz. 250. I hope to do something similar one day...This is a Tamiya 1/35th scale bike with Aber photo-etch...

Pics from AFV magazine #1

Here is a link to a website of someone who likes to build these bikes- its got some good photos..

For something a bit bigger the Dragon Model company has these 1/6th scale figures(I've got some of them) and there is one wih a bicyclist.

bike

Click for ARMOUR WORKSHOP
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-17-2004, 10:40 PM
Founder

excellent stuff fellas
Old 04-18-2004, 08:02 AM
vBench

Hey Red,

Thanks for the pics. I spent so much time with the AFVs I only looked at these and took no photos. Thread saved.

BTW -- Had a great time yesterday and can't wait for the RC battle in August.

Cheers,
Christopher
Reply With Quote top