Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Gamers Corner

Gamers Corner Talk about PC, Console Gaming. Miniature Vehicle and Figure Gaming.

Old 12-26-2006, 09:33 PM
Brokeneagle

Cool MOCKBA TO BERLIN - Monte Cristo games

Hi guys,
I thought I would give you a peak at my new PC game I got from Santa (you just know Santa was a Panzer Grenadier when he was young).
It is a WW2 PC real time strategy game set totally on the Eastern front. It runs over 3 chapters - Barbarossa, total war in Russia and the retreat to Berlin with the final battle of the game set around the Teirgarten and the Reichstag.
All the vehicles are fully detailed and accurate on both sides. The historical aspect is also very good, as vehicles become available as you progress through the war. All vehicle movement is very realistic, including suspension bounce, rocking on recoil and when pulling up. Tanks leave track marks and 'belt out' exhaust when moving. Sound effects are great too. Vehicles have various stages of knockouts and can also be captured or taken over if abandoned.
All troops can be moved independently or as a group - they can also crawl. A really nice touch is the Flamethrower units which come in handy in the early stages of Barbarossa when your Mk3's run into KV1's. The flamers light em'up like a bonfire!
The settings are excellent and really add to the atmosphere. All buildings can be destroyed and anything the tanks run over is demolished as well - including troops if they get too close.
It also has multiplayer but will have to check on netplay
Anyway I am about mid way through 1943 so I will give you a look at some screen grabs from various stages.
EARLY BARBAROSSA

This was just before an attack on a Russian HQ in a village. Notice the larger scale map in the left hand corner - this allows you to see the whole battle feild and move quickly between your units. RED spots are the enemy.
THE CAUCASUS
With the oil fields at Maikop in site you must recon the area with being 'wiped' by the numerous T34's lurking in the area.

I found the rail line to be the best approach to the main base without detection. You can just see the scout (white rectangle) at the middle of the geen circle.

STALINGRAD
The outskirts of the grave for the 6th Army. You enter through the railyards and it's fight or die the whole way until you control the area. Notice the captured T34 - very neccessary until the better German armour comes along, though the Stug's work well.

STALINGRAD - OPERATION URANUS
Pitomnik airfeild, west of the 'Grad' and I'm the Russians, trying to break the German lines and capture their only means of supply. T34 mod. 43 are the new addition.

You can see the building change from fine to Fu*&^d! The Stug 3's are 'done like a dinner' as well!

Carnage is the order of the day and some of the battles are just outrageous.........you end up with massed piles of broken armour, burning and smoking in front of your fixed positions. New attacks have to drive over the piles of wreckage to continue the attack. One battle I had in the early stages ended with the nearly the whole screen area littered in wrecked tanks and anti tank guns.
Tigers appear here for the first here trying to break in.
*not sure whether the 43 mod t34's should be there in early 43, oh well its only minor.

Well thats it for the review.... I will add some more as I get through the game.
I will seeyou guys in a couple of weeks. I'm heading up the coast.

Last edited by brokeneagle; 12-27-2006 at 07:18 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-28-2006, 01:47 PM
vBench

Hmmm - looks like a good mix of

the more modern First Person Shooters and the classic "Close Combat" mode of play. Snazzy graphics, man!

Are you familiar with the Close Combat series? And if so- how does this compare?

Paul

Reply With Quote top
Old 12-28-2006, 07:23 PM
Ebbe Bergman

Send a message via MSN to Ebbe Bergman
Sorry can´t help my self. Uranus....Ur anus...in swedish that is "out of anus".
Okay get a grip Ebbe =ob
It looks very similar to Heroes soldiers of WW2?! Have you made it till the Reichstag yet? Perhaps I should by the game....
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-28-2006, 07:24 PM
Ebbe Bergman

Send a message via MSN to Ebbe Bergman
Odd is that a Tiger in Stalingrad at the last picture?
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-28-2006, 08:30 PM
vBench

Sure looks like it.
Old 01-06-2007, 11:01 PM
Brokeneagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebbe Bergman View Post
Odd is that a Tiger in Stalingrad at the last picture?
Ebbe,
I thought the same but the battle I was playing in those shots was depicting Uranus which was an attempted 'break in' to the Stalingrad pocket. Tigers where used in this attempt as they where hailed as the new wonder weapon that would save the 6th Army; obviously they fell a bit short of expectations .

I haven't got through to the Reichstag yet as I am still trying to break out of the Tscherkassy Pocket.
Old 01-07-2007, 12:10 PM
vBench

Location: I know a guy who sells t-shirts at a nearby location to Willy's grave.
Send a message via Skype™ to Larry Bates
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokeneagle View Post
Ebbe,
I thought the same but the battle I was playing in those shots was depicting Uranus which was an attempted 'break in' to the Stalingrad pocket. Tigers where used in this attempt as they where hailed as the new wonder weapon that would save the 6th Army; obviously they fell a bit short of expectations .

I haven't got through to the Reichstag yet as I am still trying to break out of the Tscherkassy Pocket.

So, thats where you've been !!!

Laz

Opening Laz's World on Ice next summer, no franchises. Just cold ice, and figure skaters, ring side bar service.

Reply With Quote top
Old 01-07-2007, 12:38 PM
vBench

Yeah, he should have been working on that Br 52
Old 01-08-2007, 12:10 AM
Brokeneagle

Guilty as charged!

But I have also been up the coast on holidays............the good news is that I have actually done some of my BR52 . Actually, I am still on holidays......yeah baby yeah! .