Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Tweak Guides - Tips & Trix

Tweak Guides - Tips & Trix Collaborate on kit improvements

Old 12-20-2007, 04:24 PM

Need some Aber advice

I've reached the point where I'm becoming satisfied (most of the time) with my folding and soldering. But now I've reached the point on my Aberized FAMO SdKfz. 9 build where I have to make the doors for the tool compartments. I have to press in some rivets and cross-supports before bending them to shape and soldering a frame and some other bits and pieces on. I've seen the Aber "how to" regarding pressing, and I've lightly done a couple of the rivets so that I'm not past the point of undoing what I've done, but frankly they look merely like dents pressed in and decidedly un-rivetlike, and given the way they look, I have serious doubts about how the cross-supports would turn out. So before I get to the point of no return, I could really use a bit of advice from some of the masters here on exactly how to go about it.

Michael
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-20-2007, 04:44 PM
vBench

I would get a set of individual rivets and solder them on. I agree that the Aber "press out" ones don't look that great.
Old 12-20-2007, 04:44 PM
vBench

oh, and fill the rivet depressions where you are supposed to press them out with solder.
Old 12-20-2007, 04:56 PM

Thanks a lot for the quick response. After seeing the way they seemed certain to look, I was afraid that something like that might be the answer. One more question: I haven't had occasion to use brass rivets before so could you recommend some?

Also, do you have any advice as to how I should deal with the cross-supports that are also supposed to be pressed in?

Michael
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-20-2007, 05:59 PM

Edit: It occurred to me since posting my response that perhaps the answer to my first question about where to get brass rivets might be overcomplicating it. I've drilled holes in plastic and used wire with Aber nuts to simulate bolts, so it seems that the same thing ought to work in brass to make rivets (without the nuts, of course), right?
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-20-2007, 07:33 PM
vBench

Location: I know a guy who sells t-shirts at a nearby location to Willy's grave.
Send a message via Skype™ to Larry Bates
If you don't like the pressed style rivet, you could drill holes where the rivets are and put plastic rod in its place, then use a flame or the end of your soldering iron to melt the end of the plastic rod into a mushroom shaped head, thus simulating a rivet.

Laz

Opening Laz's World on Ice next summer, no franchises. Just cold ice, and figure skaters, ring side bar service.

Reply With Quote top
Old 12-20-2007, 07:49 PM

Thanks Larry. That's a better idea than using wire.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-20-2007, 10:23 PM
vBench

Location: I know a guy who sells t-shirts at a nearby location to Willy's grave.
No problem Michael

Opening Laz's World on Ice next summer, no franchises. Just cold ice, and figure skaters, ring side bar service.

Reply With Quote top
Old 12-21-2007, 09:56 AM

Well, it sounds as if my rivet problem is solved, but I'm still out to sea on what to use to press in the cross ribs. The set supplies a couple of pieces to solder onto the side with the indentations, which will be on the inside of the door, but the I have some serious doubts as to how the outside with ribs pressed into it with a ballpoint pen will look. If any of you guys have had success with pressing them, I would really like to hear what you've used and how you've done it.

Michael
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-21-2007, 11:01 AM
vBench

Ok Michael,

check out my thread on the panther, it's long, but it should answer any questions you have about the aber set.

http://www.planetarmor.com/forums/sh...t=1295&page=21

have fun...

Larry

Reply With Quote top