Old 06-18-2004, 11:48 AM

Howdy fellas,

Since I've got so many Sherman related questions, and I haven't (I don't think) started a 'New' topic here at PlanetArmour, I thought I'd spread some of my never-ending queries here, if that's alright?
Now, I should preface this by saying that a good portion of my questions will have to do with ETO Sherman's (sorry Dave ), but a growing number of them will also be about PTO Shermans.
I invite you all to participate as much as possible by posing your own questions, and by (hopefully) answering some of mine.
Many TIA.

Oh, and I hope there's still at least a few fans of the Sherman out there?

To begin, I've got a few:

1) Who has experience either painting, or researching the short-lived practice of white counter-shading on the underside of the Sherman main gun barrel?
Further on the same point, does anyone know why it was done?

2) Which AM company makes replacement Sherman tracks with proper grousers, not 'duck bill' extenders?

3) {This one's a little 'out there'} I always enjoyed the film 'Kelly's Heroe's', and especially liked the idea of 'Oddball's' mechanic souping-up the engine of their Sherman's (I think he was a hot-rodder' back in the 'States').
Has anyone ever heard of this actually taking place? Meaning, did any of the men in the field ever make engine modifications of any kind?
I've read Belton Cooper's book, and he doesn't mention it.
Just seems to me, that the one thing the Sherman had over the larger and stronger Tigers was mobility. So, if there was a way to make my tank quicker on the 'get-up-and-get-the-heck-out-of-danger' trigger....I'd look into it.

Some odd questions I know, but, what the hey!

TIA.

Tread.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-18-2004, 01:55 PM
vBench

Tread,as far as grousers go,they come with the Academy and AFV Club M10 series Tank Destroyers You do mean the grousers that went on the face of the track and was connected to the end connectors right? AFAK,there are no AM grousers made
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-18-2004, 08:10 PM

The white shading under the barrel of the gun was to deceive the enemy how big a gun is mounted. Early in the war when the 75mm was shaded it was to confuse the Germans who first saw the Sherman at a distance into thinking it might be a tiny 37mm. Later in the war many of the Fireflies and Achilles had a white ring around the barrel where a 75mm would end. They would then paint the underside from the ring to the muzzle to camouflage the bigger 17pdr making the Germans think it wa just a plain old 75mm. Occasionally you will find a fake muzzle brake on a 17pdr where the 75mm would normally end

I myself wrap camouflage netting (surgical guaze with tea leaves) around the end of some of my Fireflies and even 76mm exposing only the length equal to a 75mm

The 3rd tank from the right is my kitbashed M4A3 76mm. You can barely see it but the tip of the 76mm has been covered with camo netting. The exposed length of 76mm is about the same as the 75mm M4A1 to the right
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-18-2004, 11:45 PM

Howdy Shermies,

Thank you sir for the Intel! I thought it had something to do with that (read that the Germans had a decent amount of respect for the the 17 pdr, and would attempt to focus all firepower in an effort to take them out first....in fact, I think it was Belton's book).
In Osprey's M4 Sherman modeling manual, bottom of page #59, there is an illustration of a Sherman Firefly with the 'fake' muzzle brake you speak of (I think).
Either that, or it's a WW II era fume extractor.

BTW......niiiiiiiiiice line up there Shermies!! Wish I was there on your deck and could check 'em out up close......they look great! Which kit is the recovery vehicle? Also...is the A1 the DML kit or the Italeri?

Tread.

Oh...and, what?...no taker's on my other questions???? :lol:
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-19-2004, 08:47 AM

The M4A3 76mm is the Italeri USMC minus the waders with the T23 turret swapped from an Italeri M4A1 (to the right). The remaining M4A1 was given the spare 75mm from the DML M4 Hybrid with the cast in cheek armor (as opposed to the welded cheek armor). The wheels came from a Tamiya set and a lot of smaller parts came from DML. You can't read it but the name on the side of the M4A1 says Frankenstein because she was made from all the spare parts from other Sherman kits. I still have and extra Italeri USMC 75mm turret. Did you follow that?

The M32 is OOTB Testors.

I a not aware of any track with grousers installed although on my Academy Achilles they have provided grousers that an be stored on the side racks.

As for tankers tinkering with their engines... all I can say is that they are Americans. If they can make it better, stronger or faster I cannot see why they wouldn't try to do something though I have no direct evidence.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-19-2004, 09:14 AM

Howdy Shermies,

Thx for the response (and yes, I did follow ). As I said before, they look great!
I asked this question over at the Big 'A', but am still not quite clear on it. And your treatment of the A3 and the A1 is almost precisely what I was planning on doing, but was cautioned about accuracy issues. I do not care for the kit supplied T23 turret in the Italeri M4A1 box, and was planning on changing it out for an identical turret to yours. The only difference is, my replacement turret has the welded-on cheek applique armour. There can't be that much difference can there?
Also. I don't know if you've been following the thread or not, but I am planning on scratch/bashing a Composite hull Sherman out of the Italeri M4A1 hull front, and the Tammy 'early' hull rear. I am getting some help from Hollowpoint on this, and since I am hoping to get a nice new digital camera for Father's Day, I will be taking pictures of the process this time and writing it up as a 'How-to' Article. Not sure if you're interested in that type of project or not (just teasin' ya), but stay tuned.

Tread.

Oh...before I forget. Your M4A3 with the swapped T23 turret has the three 55 gal. drums mounted on the back....nice variant Is this based upon a photo? If so, can you point me there?......Thx.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-19-2004, 11:20 AM

Actually, after a bit more research, I think I've got the whole turret thing figured out. Thanks anyway.

Tread.

Oops....spoke too soon. The replacement turret I have (Sherman late 75mm) has the split-hatch. The picture that made me feel all warm and fuzzy has the one-piece........
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-19-2004, 05:30 PM

hey shermies rule i love your shermans,
i like the recoverysheman.
did u buy that as a kit or did ukit bash or aftermarket??
so keep up the fine job on your shermans.
CAN YOU TAKE SOME CLOSE UPS OF THAT RECOVEY SHERMAN.
AND POST THEM ON HERE OR THE ARMORAMA SITE I WANNA
SEE THAT BAD BOY THANKS TAZZ
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-23-2004, 02:22 PM

Guys
Here's a question for you.Can anyone tell me if the M32 Arv with Hvss was used late in WWII? I've found a couple of pics of said beast and it's a conversion I fancy doing.
TIA
Pete
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-23-2004, 06:37 PM

Tazz I'll try to get some pics up Armorama

Pete. IIRC the M32 HVSS is a waaaay post WWII issue
Reply With Quote top