Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Reference

Reference Share what you have

Old 04-13-2009, 12:30 AM

Rear deck:Panther Ausf G (late)

Hello all. Just joined today.(see new recruits).I have been modelling for many a year,but kinda new to Axis subjects. I am trying to step up my skills and knowledge of Axis armor and I am working on the Tamiya Panther G (late). I have been noticing on many of the builds, both here and elsewhere,on the back engine deck on the left side,(as facing the rear) the rectangular vent screens have just the screens, while on the right side the vents have the slats and the screen.On other builds,(and in the Tamiya instructions) it shows both sides have the slats, with the screens as added parts you can buy.And yet other builds just show the screens only,no slats at all.I am a little shy of 1/1 reference material showing this area.Can anyone enlighten me on everything there is to know about the rear engine deck? Please forgive my ignorance, but I am trying to learn. Chris F.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-13-2009, 01:01 AM
vBench

Welcome aboard!
Here's the deal- the Germans began fitting a kampfraumheizung (the raised heater tower) over the left side fan in Sep/Oct 44. The purpose of this being to divert hot air from the engine compartment into the fighting compartment to keep the crew a little more comfortable. When this device was fitted, a pair of sliding shutters was added to the intake vents on the right side. I believe this had something to do with regulating the flow of cooling air. These were only fitted to the right side intakes, never the left. Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-13-2009, 01:27 AM

Thanks Evan.It does help a great deal.In fact I was gonna ask about that next.My question was about the rectangular vents.Look at the pic by Jan Peters on this very forum. You will see the kampfraumheizung,and then on the left and right the rectangular vents with screening. I am referring to those. Not the round vents. For example, on the left the vents have the screen covers and on the right there are slats AND the screen. I have seen this done in different ways as described in my first post. What is the reason that on some builds it is just the screen only on both sides, and on others, it is the way you see it in the pics? Are there variations? Which is correct? (not to suggest that Mr. Peters is not correct) Please help me ! I am dying to know all that there is to know. I seem to be obsessed with German armor. Does this happen alot here?Obsession I mean? Anyhow,see this pic:
[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by cflow; 04-13-2009 at 01:53 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-13-2009, 09:45 PM
vBench

The picture has it correct. This is the way to go. The "slats" you mention are the sliding shutters that were placed over the rectangular intake vents on the right side. That clear it up for you?
If you want good reference material, check out the Panzer Tracts series and Germany's Panther Tank by Jentz and Doyle.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-13-2009, 10:05 PM

Evan,
thank you for helping me out.I want to learn all I can, and make sure I get the details as accurate as I can make them.Thanks again for your help.Chris
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-18-2009, 10:07 AM
vBench

Hi. The "shutters" were there to regulate the water temperature for the radiator. As the water cans (tanks ?) are only to be found on the right side (looking towards the front of the tank) there's no need to put any on the other side. What happened is that when the Americans brought back Panthers to the US as they had no idea about the use of the shutters they put some on both sides. This can be seen on a musemum tank that was used by Tamiya as reference so they put four shutters instead of two.
please note that depending on the date the tank was built you can find the heater but not the shutters.
Please also note that on every surviving tank these shutters were put "criss-cross" as seen here :

we then can assume this was the proper way to fix them but don't ask me why.
please look at the edge of the shutters and how they open and you should see what I'm talking about. Maybe it's more obvious on this pic from one of my models :

get it ?
(I'm not sure my explanation is really clear ... sorry)
As these devices appeared only around October - November 44 it's not uncommon to see a Panther G without any of them.

Last edited by gibsonfndr; 04-18-2009 at 10:15 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-20-2009, 04:14 PM

Laurent,
thanks alot.It is a fine explanation.It will help out alot.I appreciate you taking the time. Chris F.
Reply With Quote top