Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Photos: In-progress Blogs

Photos: In-progress Blogs Post your in-progress photos in a blog-style topic!
Request vBench Photo Upload Access

Old 08-31-2014, 04:44 PM
vBench

Send a message via ICQ to canjuaan
Andrey, Scott, thank you for the nice comments. It's good to see you both around, too. Over the years many people seem to have left PA who once were very active on this site. So it's good to see you're still kicking it!

### Update ###

This is the last interior update!

100% crop: the tin (see the previous update), now painted.

More interior equipment: the sight and a cartridge (from a Tamiya 88mm brass rounds set). Sorry for the bad image.

Everything's in place for receiving the gun box.

A ammunition box found its way into the fighting compartment.

Finally, after these detail images...
Old 08-31-2014, 04:54 PM
vBench

... the very last overall shots were taken:

Some might remember the almost exact same image, only without paint. For those who can't, here's a little reminder: http://foto.arcor-online.net/palb/al...3264613230.jpg

Now to the marriage of the hull and the superstructure!

To underline this defining and dramatic moment, I just had to use this filter on the image

And in the end the mandatory outlook on what this beast will look like one day:

Except for the gun barrel, everything's now fixed in place. The armored engine deck had a troublesome fit, but eventually I overcame that struggle, too.

Too bad I need to stop again now, just when I reached the point when it would take only a few days to finish up the kit. Oh well...

I hope you liked it. I'm really happy to finally have finished the interior (painting).

Regards,
Johannes
Old 09-01-2014, 05:44 PM
Vbench

Quote:
Originally Posted by canjuaan View Post
Now to the marriage of the hull and the superstructure!

To underline this defining and dramatic moment, I just had to use this filter on the image
Oh wow!

SF
Old 09-02-2014, 03:06 PM
vBench

Send a message via Skype™ to Torben Nielsen
EPIC Johannes

Something to tell my grandchildren - I "was there" when you closed the lid on the most impressive Elefant interiour build of all times, never to see the light of day Again. Thanks for sharing this over the past 7 years :O)

Torben
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-08-2014, 11:57 AM
vBench

Send a message via ICQ to Gopher
I'll repeat it one more time - AMAZING!

Reply With Quote top
Old 12-23-2014, 08:55 AM
vBench

Christmas time = modelling time!

Without further ado: update.

I'm at home for a few days, and other than usual I really got some spare time which I can put to good use a.k.a. modelling.
After fixing the large pieces permanently in the last update, I could finally apply the missing Zimmerit to the lower hull now.

Said Zimmerit still needs some touch-ups with steel wool.

Tamiya's Epoxy Putty is my favorite product for the recreation of Zimmerit.

After it had dried, I could start working on the engine grills. There's a weld bead missing. In order to make the putty stick there, I needed to remove some little bit of plastic with a scalpel.

Added weld bead.

Still waiting for some minor touch-ups.

Next on the list were the big weld beads connecting the side armor walls of the fighting compartment with its roof. There was a nasty mold line I couldn't get rid off other than redoing a section of this weld bead. So I grapped my trusted Mission Models Micro Chisel and removed it in no time.

Ready for the acceptance of the new weld bead.

Poor photograph, but its done.

All in all this was really pleasurable work and helped me to get back in on the model. Next up are the fenders with their brackets.

Thanks for looking & Merry Christmas,
Johannes
Old 12-24-2014, 12:18 PM
vBench

### Update ###

Just a few more minutes before our delicious Christmas dinner (fish specialties, yummy!) - enough time to present today's work.

Once again, some welds had to be added with the trustworthy Tamiya epoxy putty.

Finally done - that's really it! Clean up will follow later...

After that I started to make up for a stupid mistake I made back when I did the basic assemblies. In a short mental blackout I removed the notable step between the frontal standard and the additional armor plates. I believe I thought it was DML's screw up, but it was there on the real vehicle.
In order to achieve a clean and straight cut, I carefully cut between the plates with a thin bladed resin saw.

Then I used a standard saw blade the widen the gap.

In all honesty, the cut is a little overdone, but it looks much better than before, and also bothers me much less now.

And other than promised, more welding had to be done The light condition made it hard to photograph the weld bead properly, but it's in there.

The last things I got done today: soldering the fenders. Part 1L, the left frontal mudguard, is most likely staying off, so I decided not to solder it to the assembly.

In the end I want to wish you all a blessed and Merry Christmas. Enjoy the food and relax

All the best,
Johannes
Old 12-31-2014, 01:23 PM
vBench

The last days were busier than expected. Nevertheless, I want to present you my last update for 2014. Happy new year to everyone who's reading this. Have a great start in 2015!

First, I bent the hinges for the mudguards. Here's how I did it.
In this picture you can see the PE piece and the only practicable PE bending tool I know, "The Bug" by The Small Shop.

I put the PE part under the upper part of the Bug, so that only half of the flap is showing. Then I simply use my thumb's finger nail to bend it up, to a somewhat 90 degree angle.

Then I place a corresponding wire into the bend (in this example: 0,5 mm copper wire). The flap is now just bent down and around the wire with the help of a screwdriver or a hobby knife. The curve emerges automatically, and the wire, of course, later fits through easily.

Done. Fine tuning can be made with a tweezer, if necessary.

ABER have thought of literally everything and put the strengthening ribs in their PE. I soldered these little buggers to the hinges. The last one was lost to the carpet monster (it just had to happen). Well, as modellers, we know how to deal with such situations. Just make a new one from left-over PE frets!

You can (probably) make it out in this photo, the one part of the hinges is soldered in its respective place. Soldering was not easy, because of the surface structure of the fenders. Also, there was no real indicator were to put the hinges, so a lot of test fitting had to be done, so that they would actually meet with the mud guard's hinge parts.
The pieces in the middle of the picture are the actual supports for the two fender pieces in the middle.

As I've already shown on page 28 of this thread, I used Calibre35 bolts instead of the provided PE bolts. To make the fenders accept these, I had to drill holes in them.

Next I put a bolt in the "arm" in the outer bore, just like a fang. Because the tolerances are little when the arm is glued to the armor plate, it pulls the fender to the tank. Very nifty, because so it's a very sturdy construction, even if not soldered.

The right side fully clad in fenders. Only in the rear area another small arm/holder is missing, which I haven't finished yet.
ABER did an excellent job, the fit is really good. I was afraid it might not be so easy, but it worked without any hassle. On a Ferdinand, i.e. without the Zimmerit, it would be even easier to add the fenders.

From underneath the small supports and the broader connecting plates are identifiable. Thanks to the nice jig ABER provided on one of the frets, positioning the little supports is no challenge at all.

The large support "arms", as seen from above and below. The bolts will be cut and further reworked. The fit is - I like to stress this point - simply great.

As you can see, I had to remove a little bit of Zimmerit to make the smaller arm fit. I wasn't too sure about the location at first. No biggie, this little patch is easily fixed again.

Thanks to the hinges (see above), the mudguard is fully workable.

The wires will be cut once the spring is attached.

With the following three images, I call the modelling year 2014 quit.

Thanks to all those interested in this thread. Another year of patience and support has ended, still the Elefant's not done. I promise I'll keep building and posting in the next year, too. The model will be finished one day, though I hardly believe this day will be in 2015

Have a great start in 2015!

Yours,
Johannes
Old 01-01-2015, 04:20 PM
vBench

First update in 2015:

The fender supports in the rear have been added.

The fenders on the left side of the vehicle have been partially added, too.

I added a lot of dents and other damages. Reference images show how beat-up the fenders often looked.

I'm not yet fully satisfied and haven't achieved the degree of wear and tear I seek. "Creating" damages is not as easy as I've originally thought.

This is how I envision the final model to look like one day. Maybe I'll add the large first section of the fenders on the left side, other than planned. I have to think about that tomorrow.

Regards,
Johannes
Old 01-02-2015, 11:05 AM
vBench

I come back after 2 years of being away, and I stare in awe and disbelief.

Joh, this is a masterpiece.

The Music
Reply With Quote top