Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Photos: In-progress Blogs

Photos: In-progress Blogs Post your in-progress photos in a blog-style topic!
Request vBench Photo Upload Access

Closed Thread

Old 12-25-2006, 12:32 PM
vBench

Send a message via Yahoo to David Diaz
Diorama - Featuring Tamiya’s old Pz IV D

Hello all. Merry Christmas!

This is my first thread here at Planet Armor, and I would like to share this holiday’s project with you guys.
Some time ago while looking at some photos this one caught my eye.

I thought it was interesting to have the tanks driving past the Acropolis. So I decided to make diorama of something similar. I looked at my hoarded models and discovered the old and venerable Tamiya’s Panzer IV ausf D.

Since this kit is older than I am. I knew there would be loads of corrective work to do but decided to give it a try anyways. Then I found the ICM figure kit of German Tank Crew 1941-42. I really liked the figures posing for a photograph and after some reading an idea came to me.

The tank would be part of the 2nd Panzer Div and set during the invasion of Greece in 1941. The story would be simple the tank has passed an ancient Greek Temple while its unit advances into Macedonia. The crew (soldiers at the end) decided to take a small turistic souvenir and take a picture next to the ruins. I made a quick sketch of how I wanted the Diorama to look.

The idea seems clear in my mind. Now the question is, can this old model kit cut it in an age of super kits and aftermarket details? We would have to wait and see.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sketch.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	7280  

SCOUTS OUT!

"To know, that is Wisdom.
To use it, is the Art."

- Clive Barker

http://www.planetarmor.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=173
(Click to visit my v-Bench)
Old 12-25-2006, 02:15 PM
vBench

Wink wohaaaa herculean works to come

nice idea, but on the picture, it looks like more pz IV ausf F2 than D... anyway, i like to see old kit been "refitted" with a lot of works
Old 12-25-2006, 05:33 PM
vBench

Quote:
nice idea, but on the picture, it looks like more pz IV ausf F2 than D...
That picture was taken in 1943. My diorama will be set in 1941, so an ausf D would fit right in.
Today I did some research on the architecture of Greek temples. This is an excellent book for architectural photographic reference. Even if it’s in Spanish, it has so many nice photographs it doesn’t really matter.

Contrary to my modeler friends I always build the base before the models on my dioramas. So I set out to find a suitable way of building the columns of the temple. I found some old wedding cake decorative columns stashed away and decided to use those as a starting point for my columns.

After some examination and comparison I notice that the cake columns were of the Ionic order and I needed Doric columns since with two or three exceptions most Greek temples have Doric columns.

So in order to get mine right I sealed the hollow plastic cake columns and made a rubber silicone mold.

After this was done I made eight half columns out of plaster. Since I was not going to use neither the base nor the ionic capital I saw them off. This left only the shaft of the column. Since the plaster is not totally dry I will leave these overnight to dry before I continue working with them tomorrow.

SCOUTS OUT!

To use it, is the Art."

- Clive Barker

Old 12-25-2006, 05:51 PM

Great begining!
Old 12-25-2006, 09:04 PM
vBench

Welcoem to Planet Armor David!

I like the idea. I thought about something similar a few years back but with a PzKpfw III ausf E. Nice start with those columns

Lawrence

Adrian Cronauer [imitating Walter Cronkite]: I just want to begin by saying to Roosevelt E. Roosevelt, what it is, what it shall be, what it was. The weather out there today is hot and shitty with continued hot and shitty in the afternoon. Tomorrow a chance of continued crappy with a pissy weather front coming down from the north. Basically, it's hotter than a snake's ass in a wagon rut.
Old 12-25-2006, 09:33 PM
vBench

Nice work on those columns.
Old 12-25-2006, 10:53 PM
vBench

Jeeze dude- do yourself a really big favour and buy a New Tristar or Dragon Panzer IV kit- the differance between them and this one is light years. Give this to some kid and start with something nice. Trust me you won't regret it.

Click for ARMOUR WORKSHOP
Old 12-26-2006, 12:31 AM
vBench

Quote:
Jeeze dude- do yourself a really big favour and buy a New Tristar or Dragon Panzer IV kit- the differance between them and this one is light years. Give this to some kid and start with something nice. Trust me you won't regret it.
I totally agree with you James. The new model kits these days are a world apart from this “ancient artifact”. Actually, I do have the Dragon Panzer IV kit waiting for its moment to shine. Now, after studying the diorama I decided that since all the crew would be outside I wanted to leave all the hatches open. And since the Panzer IV has very large hatches (compared to other AFVs) I decided to scratch build the whole interior. This will take me much longer to complete, especially since the kit needs a lot of rework already. But since I like scratch building a lot, this is just a challenge I cannot pass. I think that’s why I will stick to the old Tamiya kit.

SCOUTS OUT!

To use it, is the Art."

- Clive Barker

Old 12-26-2006, 02:01 AM
vBench

I knew you'd say that.
Oh well, good luck. But life is so short....

Click for ARMOUR WORKSHOP
Old 12-26-2006, 03:57 AM
vBench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturmmann View Post
But since I like scratch building a lot, this is just a challenge I cannot pass. I think that’s why I will stick to the old Tamiya kit.
just what i like to hear - very interesting start
Closed Thread