Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Photos: In-progress Blogs

Photos: In-progress Blogs Post your in-progress photos in a blog-style topic!
Request vBench Photo Upload Access

Old 05-31-2013, 06:31 AM
vBench

Dragon StuG III Ausf. C/D DAK 1/35

Hi everybody,

This is Dragon's old StuG III C/D revamped into one of them elusive DAK short-barelled StuG's from z.V.B. 288.

Besides the actual model itself, I used also Eduard's photo etch package, a metal barrel from RB, an antenna from RB, quite a bit of resin from Black Dog (primarily their StuG kurz package, a bit from their Pz.Kpfw. III stuff), and quite a bit of scratchbuilding. On the scratchbuilding side, I made out of thin metal and other assorted pieces the sand filters, the wiring of the headlights and their protection, and the points for attachment the extra roadwheels. Finally, I took one of the MiniArt DAK figures and an MG34 from another Dragon kit.

The project is in a pretty advanced stage, a few finishing things here and there (i.e. the neck of the figure, the luggage at the rear deck needs some more treatment, painting the stop lights, stuff like this). I'll also post a few earlier images, just to keep the story going.

So here's an early one, still assembling:

First painting pass and post-shading. I used Tamiya acrylics:

First test of the chipping -- all hand-painted:

First weathering pass. At this point I was considering two figures, but as I am not particularly happy with my figure painting skills, I dropped one of them. For the weathering I used primarily AK/Mig filters and washes:

Second weathering pass, with the tracks on. This one was mainly AK/Mig pigments:

And finally, the current state of the project, with a small base for the model as well. The tools are also on:

Thank you very much for your time and attention -- any and all comments would be most welcome! I still consider myself young and inexperienced in the hobby (alas, just in the hobby ) so all opinions and recommendations will be really appreciated.

Ivan
Attached Images

Reply With Quote top
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Drone For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2013, 09:59 PM
Another Modeler

Send a message via MSN to serpico Send a message via Yahoo to serpico
Drone,

I can't see any photos....

Paul
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-19-2013, 04:16 AM
vBench

Apologies Serpico, seems like I ran out of bandwidth! Must be fixed now.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-19-2013, 01:25 PM
vBench

Send a message via Yahoo to David Diaz
Drone,

Looks good. I like all the little details on it. Only thing is the paint looks thick and grainy around the main gun and the front plate.

dave

SCOUTS OUT!

"To know, that is Wisdom.
To use it, is the Art."

- Clive Barker

http://www.planetarmor.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=173
(Click to visit my v-Bench)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-01-2013, 04:59 AM
vBench

Thanks a lot Dave!

Indeed, I had issues with the paint on the front hull: I did the painting as an outdoor activity last fall, and it was a pretty hot and sunny day. As I dilute the Tamiya acrylics with 98% spirit, due to the heat I think some of the droplets were solidifying before impacting on the model and this resulted in the graininess of the overall look. A lesson learned here

Have a nice day,

Ivan
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-01-2013, 06:02 AM

Thumbs up

Most finished models have some or a slight cringe factor going on, but not this one as I see really nothing wrong!

The sandy weathering, the awesome work on the storage and the dio stand all are very well done.

Thanks for sharing your StuG build with us!

~ Jeff
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-01-2013, 06:47 AM
vBench

Looking good Drone. The clutter on the rear deck is very effective. Personally, I find detailing and weathering stowage to be very difficult to do. Your work is very nice!

May I offer a suggestion? The upright hatch lid for the loader and the slightly askew front hatch for the commander stick out. Both were extremely heavy items and would have either been fully open or fully closed (unless something were jamming them slightly). The loader's hatch, in that position, is a concussion ready to happen as it did not have any locking mechanism to stay upright.

Hope these make sense.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-01-2013, 10:28 AM
vBench

Thanks a lot guys! As I don't consider myself particularly experienced modeler (and this ain't no fake modesty), your feedback really means a lot!

@T26E4, very valid points on both counts! On the Commander's hatch, I was planning to jam something under it to keep it ajar. On the Loader's hatch, the guy with the MG (assuming he's the Loader) is actually keeping it propped up with his right elbow. Most likely I'll try to tilt it further back so that it rests on the stowage behind it to make the whole arrangement more believable.

Ivan
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-03-2013, 05:39 PM
vBench

nice weathering effects, like it a lot
Reply With Quote top