Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Photos: In-progress Blogs

Photos: In-progress Blogs Post your in-progress photos in a blog-style topic!
Request vBench Photo Upload Access

Old 07-07-2006, 08:41 AM
vBench

This kit came in the mail today, (thanks Larry!)
Will try and get some pics up tonight or tomorrow.

Click for ARMOUR WORKSHOP
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-07-2006, 09:08 AM
vBench

SPG, SPG, SPG

Where are my NITROs,quickly, quickly,HURRRRRRRRYYYYYYYY
Old 07-07-2006, 02:03 PM
vBench

Location: Somewhere near polarbears, reindeers and Santa let loose on Arctic circle..
James. Now I'm jealous.. :lol: Can't wait to see more.

Cheers Mikko
Old 07-07-2006, 11:13 PM
Who say what now?

I was tempted to pick up one of these at Magic Box myself today jamie, but I opted for the 234/1...

D
Old 07-08-2006, 07:19 PM

I got this one and the cyberhobby update set coming in the mail until i get mine i 'm looking forward to seeing your in progress photos.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-09-2006, 12:58 AM
vBench

Well I'm glad for all the interest in this kit. I really just want to build this one from the box, just to have a care free therapy build without worrying about scale armour thickness and all that. But I bet I get bogged down in Advanced Modellers Syndrome (AMS) :lol:
So for the first item I want to discuss is that fact that I am really happy that Dragon seems to be giving some attention to the Panzer II. This all fits in with my primal interest of historical development of AFV's. The older Alan kits were pretty good for their time and I did build one in the early days of my re initiation to modelling years ago, as well as the Bison II. Also there is the ancient Panzer II and Marder from Tamiya but this is a new tooling though and it looks pretty thorough.

Now about the kit, Step 1. is about the usual suspension construction that starts out tank model builds. Dragon has really made it difficult (in a nice way) because there seems to be two types of Drive sprocket wheels and three for the idler! There is no information given as to which one is suited for early mid or late and for which paint scheme included in the instructions requires a specific one of the various the different types. More complete info ought to be included by Dragon if so many options are provided.

some pics showing the different versions. (Nice weld seams, eh?)

I also took the liberty of bugging Mr. Edmundson to see if he could give me some insight into this vehicle, as he was the technical consultant on this kit.

Here is a quote from his reply to my query.
Quote:
As far as references for that Marder II kit, the best one would be the Achtung Panzer #7 on the Panzer I and II tanks and variants. They spent a bit of time on the Marder II and have some great line drawings and photos of a couple of museum examples. The rest of my references were piece-meal at best (old Squadron titles etc). Tom had sent the DML folks a book on the Marder II which had quite a few museum shots. I'll see if he can send me the name & publisher of that one.

The kit is basically a late variant, and the sprocket to use would be the one without the holes between the bolts, and the idler should be E6, which is the most common one seen in photos. I think all the marking options would have that later combination, but it's best to check photos of the one you're doing

Reply With Quote top
Old 07-09-2006, 02:11 AM
vBench

Quote:
Originally posted by panzerfaust@Jul 8 2006, 10:58 PM
Now about the kit, Step 1. is about the usual suspension construction that starts out tank model builds. Dragon has really made it difficult (in a nice way) because there seems to be two types of Drive sprocket wheels and three for the idler! There is no information given as to which one is suited for early mid or late and for which paint scheme included in the instructions requires a specific one of the various the different types. More complete info ought to be included by Dragon if so many options are provided.
That's the only thing I tend to dislike myself...a jillion options on something, but ya never know what feature goes with which specific vehicle...you'd think that they'd get Concord books to make a new book for that particular type of vehicle to at least make it easier on us...come on Mr Dragon, throw us a freakin' bone here! :lol:

RC
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-09-2006, 02:51 AM
vBench

Some general sprue pictures that Larry took before he mailed this kit out to me.

Reply With Quote top
Old 07-09-2006, 02:54 AM
vBench

Big thanks to Larry for taking the trouble to shoot these and send them to me.

Reply With Quote top
Old 07-09-2006, 03:25 AM
vBench

Location: Somewhere near polarbears, reindeers and Santa let loose on Arctic circle..
Hi James!

That looks very great model to me! How about those magic tracks, how nice and accurate they are? I sure want that model to myself, already got achtung panzer no.7. Can't wait to see it build up!

Cheers Mikko