Old 02-15-2006, 03:49 PM
vBench

Hello here

I have a little problem I'll like to ask to you all!
I'm planning to model,in fact i am modelling a Dragon Initial Tiger 1. I have searched the net for good pictures of this model It is a model from sPz Abt 503 turret number "123" These are vell known pictures, It is for sure a very early Tiger Fahrgestell no. before 250046 The pictures are taken during a break in the Kursk fighting or mayby shortly before in 1943 but what color is it painted?? Acording to time frame it should be repainted dunkelgelb, maybe with green stipes or is it simply a veteran in dusty wheathered panzergrau ???

Thanks in advance
Regards
Dan Seifert

Best regards

Dan Seifert

Reply With Quote top
Old 02-15-2006, 09:05 PM
vBench

Cool project. Here's what TIC I has to say on 503 Tigers- In the spring of '43, the tanks were repainted in a 'strange mixture of dark yellow and green olive'. Sounds like they recieved a coat of dunkelgelb over the original panzer grau, and then some olive camo. Black turret nos. with a white outline. I wonder if this could have been one of the tanks transfered to 503 from 2/502? Pity that you can't see the front fenders or stowage bin. But on the second to last pic, it almost looks that there is a pistol port instead of escape hatch on the loader's side, a characteristic of the initial Tigers.

How will you go about doing this? As the Dragon Initial has no mounts for the side mud guards, or the guards themselves. I'd love to follow along on your v-bench.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-16-2006, 06:26 AM
vBench

You might be interested to lay your hands onto an article printed in one of the early issues of AFV modeller, describing in detail the build of exactly this scene, with Tiger and crew and ammo and flowers and stuff....

This article is still downloadable as pdf from AFV modeller's archive.

The Tiger's colour scheme is described as Panzergrau, repainted sand colour and oversprayed with a wavy green pattern.

Hope this helps,

Stefan
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-16-2006, 06:37 AM
vBench

I agree, it does look like Dunkelgelb overpainted with green stripes !
Old 02-16-2006, 09:09 AM
vBench

me again,

you will find the article here

AFV Modeller Issue 1 article on Tiger1 early of sPzAbt 503

reagrds,

Stefan
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-16-2006, 11:41 AM
vBench

Hello again!
First thanks to your reply! It is very usefull information I especially like the phrase "'strange mixture of dark yellow and green " I think I will paint my model something like that!. Later I will ask Gordy for a workbench so I can post some in progress pictures, for the moment I am building the tow cable fastings, is it called so?
Evan you made a note about that this vehicle mayby was transferred from 2/502 that is possible because there is a picture where you can see the Pz III stowage box and the extra pistol port so typical for very early Tigers. You also asked about the side skirts fastings, I have done that with small Evergreen strips drilled and glued on..Yes It is easier when I have a Vbench to explain.

Stefan thanks for the very usefull link..

Best regards

Dan Seifert

Reply With Quote top
Old 02-26-2006, 03:58 AM
vBench

Is this your Tiger?

Reply With Quote top
Old 02-27-2006, 02:56 PM

It might have been delivered in darkgrey and later been repainted in darkyellow (with f.e. green camo). According to Osprey's NV "Tiger I", s Pz Abt 503 got their vehicles delivered in January 1943, the pics posted were taken just before the July 1943 Kursk offensive, so in any case I doubt the vehicle would still be in dark grey then. ( The order to paint/ repaint all vehicles in dark yellow was from February 1943.)
Bison decals make a s Pz Abt 503 sheet. See:
http://www.angelfire.com/pro/bison/35024.html

Hope this helps.

Marc
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-28-2006, 05:55 PM
vBench

Hi again!
Yes Evan it is exactly "my Baby" :lol:
MarcB Yes I know the Svedish guy who makes Bison Decals his paintscheme is maybe an assumption to me I think that I choose to paint my model in this combination of dark yellow-green -olive on a basis of old wheatered panzergrau..
thanks for the response..

Best regards

Dan Seifert

Reply With Quote top
Old 03-09-2006, 11:50 PM

Maybe this will help:

I modeled a third kompanie tank from this same unit during kursk. Bison makes a markings s et for call# 123 (pictured).

I converted the DML initial to a very early T1 with Pz III stowage bin, etc.

Steve
Reply With Quote top