Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Photos: In-progress Blogs

Photos: In-progress Blogs Post your in-progress photos in a blog-style topic!
Request vBench Photo Upload Access

Old 12-24-2005, 10:20 AM
Brokeneagle

This Tiger was a project that I did to have some fun with strange Tiger mixs near the end of the war.I chose HummelKompanie - Panzerbrigade 106, formely 506. When this unit was reorg'd, it incorporated a recovery unit, which then went about putting any Tiger 1 into service that they could with whatever parts from available knockouts etc. I picked a tank from the second company because there were no pictures. Tanks that have been photographed [such as 411], had late 'steel' wheels on early hulls , late hulls with early turrets etc. I have gone with an early turret, late barrell, late chassis, early engine hatch. Zimmerit on tri-clor base with German grey oversprayed - early turret with no zimmerit.
I used the old Anvil minatures track set [Late Tiger 1] with aber brass and wire replaced tow cables. Verlinden update set and Verlinden figures mixed. I mixed up two different Tamiya kits which can be seen in the crappy constuction shots.

The German Grey is comming through the oversprayed cammo on the Turret while the body is in late war tri color, though worse for wear.
These retro feild fitted tanks were pretty dogy in appearance and seemed to have been shoved out there as soon as possible.

The guards are PE and from Verlinden, the turret basket is VP as well but resin. It has molded gear inside with PE doors, great little piece of work.
The tracks are the old Anvil late set that has now become ww2 tracks. They also gave you the front guard hooks , the mods for the underside of the chassis as well as movable track holders with cast numbers for the turret.

Spent shells are from the Tamiya after market set , boots from VP as well the letters and mags spread out all over the rear deck from the stowage bin. The figure is a modified VP American checking out the spoils of war. There is also a bit of Aber on the tank as you can see from the rear bin clasps ......the rest is in etched screens and on tank tool clamps etc.
Old 12-24-2005, 10:23 AM
vBench

WŁnderbar! Hope you continue to post your work.

Click for ARMOUR WORKSHOP
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-24-2005, 06:58 PM
Brokeneagle

The overall scene is on my standard size base [210 x 300mm]. All the photo's of this unit are of knocked out stuff so that is what I did, the Yank has put a Bazooka round through the side at close quarters and the commander has been 'laced up' before he could get out of the cupola, hence the blood and bone on the hatch. You can just see the head of the figure inside the hatch.
It was quite difficult to get a really worn, faded effect with the Grey and yellow on the turret so I ended up using artist oilds to get the desired result. Note the Kasten wing nuts on the smoke ventilator cover.

I hand painted the numbers and made them pretty ruff on purpose as most of the tigers seemed to have these.
Old 03-14-2006, 08:15 AM
Brokeneagle

I also added zimmerit with Tamiya putty to the body[but not the turret] as well as debri like small branches and leaves for effect.

And 3 effect photos that I ended up with. The war is over for him.
Old 03-14-2006, 08:59 AM
vBench

Location: I know a guy who sells t-shirts at a nearby location to Willy's grave.
Send a message via Skype™ to Larry Bates
Nice effects Ian,

May I ask what you're using in initial stages before paint , the sienna color with what looks like sand in it? Is this for rust?

Larry

Opening Laz's World on Ice next summer, no franchises. Just cold ice, and figure skaters, ring side bar service.

Reply With Quote top
Old 03-14-2006, 08:56 PM
Brokeneagle

Larry, this is a very light mix of tiler's grout and white glue with water. I apply it before paint for areas that will be muddy or have had dirt and mud carried onto the surface. I then paint over it and add the appropriate color. This gives it a nice texture.
Thats all.
It can be used for a base for very rusty mufflers as well. I buy it by the bag [1kg] for $3.00. It is what I used as a base covering on the mk3 L in stalingrad. Thanks for the interest , I was just foolling around and giving this post a bit of a refresh as it was one of my first here.
Old 03-14-2006, 08:59 PM
vBench

Location: I know a guy who sells t-shirts at a nearby location to Willy's grave.
Send a message via Skype™ to Larry Bates
Thanks Ian

Larry

Opening Laz's World on Ice next summer, no franchises. Just cold ice, and figure skaters, ring side bar service.

Reply With Quote top