Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Photos: In-progress Blogs

Photos: In-progress Blogs Post your in-progress photos in a blog-style topic!
Request vBench Photo Upload Access

Old 04-09-2007, 08:50 AM
vBench

Good idea on Pz IV photo thread but I would suggest breaking it down to separate threads for each Ausf. It would make it easier to refer back to.

Lawrence

Adrian Cronauer [imitating Walter Cronkite]: I just want to begin by saying to Roosevelt E. Roosevelt, what it is, what it shall be, what it was. The weather out there today is hot and shitty with continued hot and shitty in the afternoon. Tomorrow a chance of continued crappy with a pissy weather front coming down from the north. Basically, it's hotter than a snake's ass in a wagon rut.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-20-2007, 03:50 PM
vBench

Send a message via Skype™ to AfRiKaKoRpS
Quite a while has gone since wrote anything. Had not to much time recently but managed to do some progress with the kit. Nearly finished upper hull now.
Have to say that for a moment this is my favourite kit of all. I am sure I need to buy at least two more. Great kit. After some research done I finally decided to go for DAK version. I drop the idea of making the Munster F2/G hybrid as not able to get the proper muzzle break at moment. Maybe in the future. So for a moment will go for standard F2 from Afrika (if any of german panzer can be called standard). Have found some photo reference of Afrikan F2. Will post that tomorrow along with kit pictures. However was not able to find any pictures of 8 from Pz.Rgt.8 15th Pz.Division. I am not sure if that one had a smoke candle rack at the back? Any idea abt that guys? Have to decide something as need to glue back plate of the upper hull.

Since this kit has everything one needs to make erly/mid G without additional armor at the front upperhull plate need to get two more kits to make my favourite Pz. IVG 7 SPADE and another one to do the one in white winter camo from eastern front. Filling turret side vision ports should be the only change in the kit I should make in these cases as all other parts are in the kit.

Chris

.................................................. ......

StuG III Ausf.G DML Smart Kit - Dec 1942 Production Initial StuG III G - Russia 1942/43 - PA Group Build
StuG IV DML Smart Kit - 2. Kompanie Panzerjäger-Abteilung Brandenburg /1. Jäger-Rgt. "Brandenburg" - Poland 1945

Reply With Quote top
Old 04-20-2007, 09:16 PM
vBench

Great, but Pics man, Pics!
Old 04-21-2007, 11:17 AM
vBench

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamigawa View Post
Great, but Pics man, Pics!
Yes Sir, Mr. Fletcher Sir

Here it goes.

The upper hull as it is at the moment.

Lower hull

And some pictures with E hull.

Here are some pictures of F2 from Afrika that I have found in the web. I think that might be the same tank.
Did it have water canister holder on the fender?

And another tank on both pictures I think.

Seems paint chipping on that one unvisable.

This is paint scheme by DML that I think of doing.

Also might consider this one from Bison Decals

Would be no problem with getting Bison sheet as will need 7SPADE from the same sheet in the future.

If you have any pictures of nr 8 from DML scheme please share

I am still not sure if that one might have had smoke candle rack at the back. Have not found any pictures of Afrikan F2 that the back plate is visable. Unfortunately all pictures I have found are made from angles not showing the back.

Chris

StuG III Ausf.G DML Smart Kit - Dec 1942 Production Initial StuG III G - Russia 1942/43 - PA Group Build
StuG IV DML Smart Kit - 2. Kompanie Panzerjäger-Abteilung Brandenburg /1. Jäger-Rgt. "Brandenburg" - Poland 1945

Last edited by AfRiKaKoRpS; 04-21-2007 at 11:20 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-21-2007, 04:49 PM
panamadan

I think that 7 SPADE is actually a "G"-I have a photo of it showing the hull hatches as not having the small round inner hatches. (What are they for?). Dan
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-21-2007, 05:19 PM
vBench

Ah, that's better. Good progress
Old 04-22-2007, 02:02 AM
vBench

Quote:
Originally Posted by panamadan View Post
I think that 7 SPADE is actually a "G"-I have a photo of it showing the hull hatches as not having the small round inner hatches. (What are they for?). Dan

Dan
Agreed 100% with you that 7Spade is a G. And knowing that I am sure I can do it from DML 6360 F2(G) kit as the only thing you need to do is to fill in the side vision ports in turret. All other parts are in the kit. Oki maybe just one missing as I think that 7 Spade most probably had spare wheel holder on the left fender like most G's had but have one from Aber PE set so should be kein problem at all.

Is this the picture you are talking about?

You are right about the small round hatches in the driver and radio-operator hatches.

Main modifications of G differing it from F2 or Mark IV Special were:

- new muzzle break - double buffle
- deleted side vision ports on turret
- deleted right vison port in the front plate of turret
- new driver radio-operator hatches without small round cap in the midddle
- new upper back plate witout candle rack holder mount
- new lower back plate with round cap
- spare wheel holder on left fender

There were of course some more smaler changes but basically think these are most important ones. There were a lot of hybrid and mixtures that had features from both F2 and G.

Chris

Reply With Quote top
Old 04-22-2007, 08:51 AM
panamadan

Yes, it is, with the then Sec. of War. Dan
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-23-2007, 02:37 PM
vBench

Think I have decided for a specific scheme at last. Was not able to find any photo reference about the nr 8 from DML scheme and did not know whether it had smoke candle rack at the back plate and where were the tools placed on its hull.
After some web browsing I have found few pictures of destroyed F2 from Afrika. If my eyesight is okay than it is nr 843 and since have most parts visable on them I have decided to go for it.

This picture shows most details of it:

What is interesting the wrench that was usually sitting on a left fender is placed on the side of lower hull behind wheels. This gives the idea that something else must have been sitting on the fender than. And now need help. Were these water canisters? I guess so. There are some parts sticking out of the upper hull side that I think might have been remains of canister holder? How did that look like? Think that also lifting hook at the canon is visable at the picture. This is the hidden feature of the Kit. Think I know that thx to Bruno thread abt the kit. Some good tips there Bruno? Look forward to see it painted. What scheme have you chosen?

If canisters where there than two parts of barrel cleaning rod must have been placed somewhere else. Think that was the right side of upper hull at the back just behind the antenna holder? Might be same as in case of European scene F2's that were shown in James thread.

At this picture some more detail shows up:

It is clearly visable that smoke candle rack is mounted
Think that this picture might have been taken later as half of blown up muzzle break is broken away and on the first picture there were still two halves. Also see some more bullet holes in the turret bin. Target practise ? And someone frustrated had his anger management therapy on the muzzle break

Last picture from the front:

Look forward to your suggestions abt the tank and maybe some help.
Was it serving with 15th Panzer Div.? Do not see any other markings apart from crosses on upper structure sides and turret number? No divisional sign is visable to me?

Chris

Reply With Quote top
Old 04-24-2007, 04:27 PM
vBench

Just a little bit of progress since last update.
Installed some parts on the upper structure and test fitted sprockets and iddlers to the lower hull. Also muffler is a dry fit.
As I was to quick with drilling holes had to use just a tiny bit of putty to fill 3 holes where the barrel cleaning rods should have been. Will instal these on the other side at the back.
Smoke candle rack is a 2 min job. Like that one defenately more than the one from IVE.

These pictures are exercise with Nikon SB-600 that I got recently. Have to get used to using external flash and all its features.

Think I need to order some jerrycans from Tasca. They look pretty okay to me. Will need them for fender. Still gotta figure out how to make jerrycan holder/rack.

Chris

PS. Model Art about F2(G) is comming out in May so some additional reference might be found there. Where one can get Model Art?

Ah, yes just a little extra that i could not have wait for

Reply With Quote top