Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Photos: In-progress Blogs

Photos: In-progress Blogs Post your in-progress photos in a blog-style topic!
Request vBench Photo Upload Access

Old 05-22-2006, 12:27 PM
vBench

This is my latest project.

I will be a bit more adventurous with this kit. I will add the following aftermarket sets.

These are the new parts

The upper hull has is correcfor the Ausf B with additional bolts and different spare track placement.

The short shot problem of the front lip in the Ausf C has been fixed

The Pz IV Ausf B will be based on these photos in Sturm & Drang, Ground Power and Squadron Signal. As far as I can tell it is a training vehicle around 1943. Judging by the colour of the German soldier, I would think that this vehicle is painted in Dunkelgelb. It is quite an interesting vehicle as it has the Ausf E type wheel hubs, one Ausf E idler wheel, one Ausf B idler wheel, Ausf B sprockets, late type convoy light, turret bin and repositioned long type extinguisher. It actually looks to be in quite good condition considering it has been service for at least 4-5 years.

Unfortunately the photos do not show what unit this vehicle is attached to.

Hmmm..now where can I get an Italian soldier?

Adrian Cronauer [imitating Walter Cronkite]: I just want to begin by saying to Roosevelt E. Roosevelt, what it is, what it shall be, what it was. The weather out there today is hot and shitty with continued hot and shitty in the afternoon. Tomorrow a chance of continued crappy with a pissy weather front coming down from the north. Basically, it's hotter than a snake's ass in a wagon rut.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-22-2006, 04:03 PM
vBench

Hey Lawrence,

This is going to be one sweet build :lol:

As far as the Italiano dude, I'd suggest Hornet to you...they have a pertty decent Italian selection...there is also Model Victoria, which is good too...Warriors has only like two guys that might even go with what you are doing (that's 2 out of 3 too lol)
If you need more companies, just ask...

Careful with that Aber bin too...it does not compensate for the bulge on the back of D and earlier Pz IVs (universal Pz IV bin my butt lol)

This B looks real cool and I love your idea on what you want to do...it makes me want to do it! Perhaps, if there is time over the summer for me, I will try to start my DML...excuse me, Cyber-Hobby Pz IV B...

Keep us posted

RC
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-23-2006, 12:30 PM
vBench

Quote:
This is going to be one sweet build :lol:
Thanks RC

Quote:
As far as the Italiano dude, I'd suggest Hornet to you...they have a pertty decent Italian selection...there is also Model Victoria, which is good too...Warriors has only like two guys that might even go with what you are doing (that's 2 out of 3 too lol)
Bought these dudes today

Quote:
Careful with that Aber bin too...it does not compensate for the bulge on the back of D and earlier Pz IVs (universal Pz IV bin my butt lol)
Thanks for the heads up. Does that mean I need to lenghten the side retaining strips?

Quote:
This B looks real cool and I love your idea on what you want to do...it makes me want to do it! Perhaps, if there is time over the summer for me, I will try to start my DML...excuse me, Cyber-Hobby Pz IV B...
I look forward to it

Adrian Cronauer [imitating Walter Cronkite]: I just want to begin by saying to Roosevelt E. Roosevelt, what it is, what it shall be, what it was. The weather out there today is hot and shitty with continued hot and shitty in the afternoon. Tomorrow a chance of continued crappy with a pissy weather front coming down from the north. Basically, it's hotter than a snake's ass in a wagon rut.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-23-2006, 12:57 PM
vBench

Started on the Aber fenders. Eventhough, the set says it is for Ausf C, I believe that they can be used for the Ausf B as well. Strange how this set does not come with the front and rear fender flaps.

Here are the instructions

The fender bolts (#1) and mounting fingers (#14 & #12) are going to be the most challenging parts.

The fenders have nice underside detail

RC was kind enough to give me tips on soldering the bolts. You need to be careful as the fenders do not have flatten spots for the bolts. This means that you need to get the position correct and make sure the bolts sit down flat.

Here is the inside of the front fender. A bit too much solder but can be cleaned easily.

To attach the fenders you need to remove the sponson bottom

The fender tread plate and frames are now ready to be soldered together

Finally, the tread plates are soldered to the frames. The tread plates have started to rust and turn red and green. Sure saves me the trouble to simulate rust

Reply With Quote top
Old 05-23-2006, 02:32 PM
vBench

Excellent Lawrence :lol:

You may not need to have the flaps on the fenders...it looks like that B didn't have any...well, at least on the back...if all else fails and you really want them, you might want to try using some foil, perhaps? I know that the Aber detail set will have the flaps...The Tristar D does...

Don't forget the fiberglass pen...that helps to remove the excess solder...it can also get rid of some of that oxidation (the rust)

RC
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-24-2006, 04:44 AM
Antonio Brugarolas

I think you will find those parts missing from the fenders in Aberīs set number 1 forn Tristarīs IV D... you can look at aberīs page as they show the instructionīs sheet.

It appears that aberīs set for D can be used for C and B as they include mainly attachments for tools, etc.

Will stay tuned at your models...

Regards,

Antonio
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-24-2006, 06:40 AM
vBench

Looks like fun! Nice work there!

Siim

Reply With Quote top
Old 05-24-2006, 07:39 AM
vBench

Very good solder work on the Fenders
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-24-2006, 07:56 AM
vBench

Location: I know a guy who sells t-shirts at a nearby location to Willy's grave.
Send a message via Skype™ to Larry Bates
Nice job Lawrence!

This site is quietly becoming Planet IV, (Panzer IV that is.)

Larry

Opening Laz's World on Ice next summer, no franchises. Just cold ice, and figure skaters, ring side bar service.

Reply With Quote top
Old 05-24-2006, 01:22 PM
vBench

Thanks Marco and Siim for your kind words. This is my first time soldering PE fenders and it was quite fun.

Thanks Larry. I like the Panzer IVs and have a few more lined up. But I am going to take a break from Pz IVs after the ausf B and ausf C. The Tristar 38(t) will be available this weekend I had the chance to inspect the kit last night and was drooling all over it!

Quote:
You may not need to have the flaps on the fenders...it looks like that B didn't have any...well, at least on the back...if all else fails and you really want them, you might want to try using some foil, perhaps? I know that the Aber detail set will have the flaps...The Tristar D does...
RC...you are quite right. I decided not to have any fenders. Just thought it wouldn't have been too much effort from Aber to include the fender flaps with the fender sets.

Quote:
Don't forget the fiberglass pen...that helps to remove the excess solder...it can also get rid of some of that oxidation (the rust)
Thanks for the reminder. Been looking for one but no luck so far. Most hardware/electrical shops don't speak English and I have no idea what fiberglass pen is called in Cantonese.

Quote:
I think you will find those parts missing from the fenders in Aberīs set number 1 forn Tristarīs IV D... you can look at aberīs page as they show the instructionīs sheet.
Antonio, I got that set as well and I am sure the upcoming Aber set for the Tristar Pz IV ausf C will have them as well. It's good that you can preview the instructions on the website. That way you can decide if the set is worth buying.

Reply With Quote top