Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Photos: In-progress Blogs

Photos: In-progress Blogs Post your in-progress photos in a blog-style topic!
Request vBench Photo Upload Access

Old 01-02-2015, 11:52 PM
vBench

Coffee table half-track

Hello all,
Been a really long time since I've posted here. Even longer since I've done any modeling. We are in the process of finishing our kitchen, and then it's on to the basement which needs completely finished. Since my art/modeling studio was in the basement, I've had to pack it all up and put it in storage until the basement is done. At that time I'll move my studio upstairs into what is now our bedroom.
But winter has hit hard, and with it the modeling bug has bitten equally as hard. With a gift card to Amazon from XMas I bought a kit I've long lusted after, a VK4502 (p) Vorne. I don't have the facilities at hand right now to do this kit up right due the the aforementioned inconvenience.
While at the hobby shop getting some rudimentary supplies to begin basic work on the Vorne, I spotted this little gem. Well "gem" might be a strong characterization of this kit, but its a different subject for me.
I call it 'coffee table half-track' because it was literally built over the course of the past 24 hours on my coffee table. It isn't done, in fact far from it. I used a dark red base, German green over that, a coat of hairspray, and then buff as a top coat. I'm still learning the hairspray technique. See my Pz II thread for my first attempt, which I think went better than this one. I still have washes, filters, dust coats, etc to do for my weathering process. I'm not getting detailed in the interior because I'm planning on scratching a tarp to cover the top since the Tamiya kit is severely lacking in that area. At any rate I think it's off to a good start for a spur of the moment, coffee table kit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sdkfz251 4.jpg
Views:	379
Size:	171.9 KB
ID:	8837   Click image for larger version

Name:	sdkfz251 3.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	8838   Click image for larger version

Name:	sdkfz251.jpg
Views:	432
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	8839  
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-03-2015, 01:21 AM
vBench

Nice effort Dan,

The yellow looks the part .

Michael
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-03-2015, 01:35 AM
vBench

Thanks Mike! I think it will look good in a desert vignette with my Pz II. On that model I actually used a desert yellow color, whereas this one is buff. The panzer went too dark with my weathering, but I think I'm in less danger of that problem with this one.
I'll be outfitting the Sdkfz 251 with bags and gear, and probably throw some on the Pz too. I like to weather using pastels and charcoal a lot, so it's tough to keep things on the lighter side. If I ever master my airbrush I think I could achieve much of the same effect with greater control.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photobucket-18622-1364001422946_zpsfa605051.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	8840   Click image for larger version

Name:	sdkfz251 2.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	8841  

Last edited by TankDan; 01-03-2015 at 01:41 AM.
Reply With Quote top