Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Photos: In-progress Blogs

Photos: In-progress Blogs Post your in-progress photos in a blog-style topic!
Request vBench Photo Upload Access

Old 01-09-2013, 08:43 PM
vBench

Send a message via AIM to chadperkins
Panther G Late - Operation Spring Awakening

Hi guys, seems like forever since I posted anything. I relocated back to St. Louis again and had to box everything up. Had a few casualties as you would expect namely my 234 is pretty torn up so I had to give it a rest for a bit before I had any desire to start something new. I'm settled in now with another child granted so it may take me forever but nevertheless I'm going to give it a go. Couldn't decide what I wanted to build and finally just figured another Panther is never a bad idea so Panther it is. I'm going to build this as a late Panther during Operation Spring Awakening with the 1st SS. It will be a late Daimler-Benz build so I've determined the following features to be correct:

Crew heater on rear deck
Wheel and not skid for track cleaning
Gas panels on turret roof
Chin mantlet
Louveres or slats on engine deck (may just put one on there for variation)
Late Flammenvernichters exhaust
Flat boxed exhaust bases
Road wheel mount on turret sides
Crosses on the right side center hull, left side behind cutters and on the left rear stowage bin
No unit insignias

If any of you know any of these details to be incorrect, please chime in.

Kit is the new Dragon one off course along with friul tracks and the Lion Roar update set. Never used Lion Roar stuff before but it looks to pretty pretty inclusive and of good quality so it should be fun. Will add a few other odd bits along the way but this is what I'm starting with.

As I understand, the 1st SS units were attached to the 6th SS which spearheaded the major thrust of the offensive south of Budapest. This would have been the 1st of March in 1945 and I'm going to probably put on a fatigued white wash.

Not much else to show for now but feel free to pass along any knowledge on the subject matter.
Attached Images

Last edited by chadperkins; 01-09-2013 at 08:51 PM.
Reply With Quote top
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chadperkins For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2013, 08:48 PM
vBench

sorry for extra post, forgot how to add icon to my thread but then i remembered

Last edited by chadperkins; 01-09-2013 at 08:53 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-10-2013, 02:51 AM
vBench

any reference pics ? I haven't seen any late Panther G from Hungary with winter camo whitewash... although I've been searching for these. I have book (have to check the title later), in russian, about 6th SS Panzerarmee in Hungary. All Panthers there have no winter camo...
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-10-2013, 04:45 AM

Nice start up and looking forward to further updates.

Thank you for posting.

AWD

my twitter https://twitter.com/#!/alexwence
my 'Attention To Detail' blog: http://scratch-builder.blogspot.com/
Modelers Alliance 'Masters Classes':http://www.modelersalliance.com/forum/alex-de-leon
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-10-2013, 09:22 AM
vBench

This is the pic that I've started with. Vehicle is supposedly from the 1st SS along side a King Tiger and is a Daimler Benz assembly as I noted. There are lots of pics of the King Tigers around Budapest in a white wash which I'm sure you've seen plenty of times but the Panthers are not as well photographed/documented it seems. That said, I see no reason why they wouldn't have done it too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Panter.jpg
Views:	2184
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	7259  
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-22-2013, 09:19 PM
vBench

Little slow so far. I got ready to work last week and realized I had left most of my tools at my mothers with some stuff we stored there between moves. Went home this past weekend and got so I've gotten off the starting blocks. First step was the running gear. It's really cool how they have made this and for those that havn't built one of these yet, the kit has torsion bar suspension that works just like the real thing. They give quite a bit of flex considering. There are also a number of different variations of parts in this step so one has to be careful. I'll try to put them into action once I have the wheels and tracks cleaned up and put together and we'll see how it performs. Don't get on my case but I didn't spend any time trying to clean up any of the interior stuff since if won't be seen but it's still pretty neat. The sponsons are molded as seperate pieces for reasons unknown but they seem to line up and go on without any problems as did the rear fan assemblies. I made sure to put on lots of glue on these interior pieces and the seems around them and added a few pieces of evergreen in the seems to make sure these parts do not separate later down road.

The hull extensions are typical and require a seams to be filled after gluing them on. I added a bit of Mr. Surfacer as well just to blend in the seem and give it some surface texture. Will tone it down with a light sanding before moving on. This will be done to the hull and turret later on. Used the rollers and not the shoes as this is correct for a Daimler Benz vehicle of this period.

The rear hull needed some work to prep it for photo etch. Mainly, the removal of the stowage bin mounts and location pins. With that taken care of, I went ahead and mated it with the hull. Seems to fit great and lines up perfectly with the hupper hull when dry fit. Little rusty with the xacto blade as you can see I cut a gash in the rear plate when removing some of the parts, did a number on one of my fingers too

The upper hull is really well done as far as detail is concerned. First step was filling all of the holes that I don't need for the kit onboard tools, etc.. since these will all be replaced. It's super smooth now so I'll probably texture it a bit at least on the front. I'm working on putting on all of the parts that require installation prior to joining the upper and lower hulls together now so that I can put them together. Dragon has done a nice job replicating the weld seems along the hull sides although they leave a small gap as you would expect. I almost just cut them all off and redid them but decided I would leave them and add some putty to rework the joint to eleminate the gaps. Should work fine and will be easier than doing new ones I suppose. Had to cut off the fenders from the front which it always a tedius job and then removed the square bit from too allow the installation of the proper ventilator hood. That's about all that has to be done to prep it.

Hope to get the top and bottom together soon and get all of the welds and part seems fixed up and and then I can really start in on the real work. Need to clean up all of the wheels first I suppose to get that out of the way.

Pics are kinda crappy. I lost my posterboard in the move so I'll have to get another piece and get my lighting situation fixed like it was before. I'll try to remedy that in the next week or two. Thanks for looking guys and comments are always welcome.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-22-2013, 09:58 PM
vBench

Send a message via Yahoo to David Diaz
Hey Chad!

Nice to see a thread from you again.

Oh my all that PE scares me!!!

Excellent work so far...

dave

SCOUTS OUT!

"To know, that is Wisdom.
To use it, is the Art."

- Clive Barker

http://www.planetarmor.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=173
(Click to visit my v-Bench)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-24-2013, 09:21 PM
vBench

To my eye, there is nothing quite as cool as this silhouette, just an awesome looking shape to these things.....

Anyway, as you can see, the worst is over! The wheels and tracks are done...

I have also obviously mated the upper and lower hulls together and they fit great, no issues there. As I mentioned previously, Dragon has molded all of the hull weld seems on the model and they are really nice, they just leave a tiny gap everywhere. I taped off the area and filled in and reworked a bit with putty and they look good to me. Easier than doing them all over again.

The only tricky part was the front where the upper and lower come to a point there. Had to fill the seam and sand a bit and redo some of the texture but it's all buttoned up now. Going to work on the rear plate for my next update.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-24-2013, 10:52 PM
vBench

oh man, those 2 pictures should be moved to "*adult content*"
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-25-2013, 05:55 AM
vBench

That's a nice built so far. Did you remake the weld seems on the back and front sides or are these also with the kit, because they so nicely

Eddy
Reply With Quote top