Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Photos: In-progress Blogs

Photos: In-progress Blogs Post your in-progress photos in a blog-style topic!
Request vBench Photo Upload Access

Old 10-16-2010, 10:03 AM
vBench

“Jabo Killer” Opel Blitz with Flak 38/103

Here is my latest project I will be working on. I wanted to do an Opel Blitz that has been converted over into a mobile flak gun mounting a 3cm flak 38/103. This will be somewhere in Germany in 45 with the truck being crewed by Luftwaffe gunners trying desperately to shoot down an allied fighter. For this build I will be using

Tamiya Opel Blitz
Dragon 3cm Flak 38/103 Jaboschreck
Dragon 2cm Flak Crew
Hussar Opel Blitz Late Wheels (still to arrive)
Lion Roar Opel Blitz Detail Set
Archer Opel Blitz Instruments and Placards
Masterpiece Flak Sled
Bronco Sd.Ah.52 Ammunition Carriage Trailer (possible?)

I am not too sure if I want to use the trailer or not or even if the truck was capable of towing it after the gun was mounted to the bed. I do not know much about the gun it’s self since info on it is hard to find, but seeing how desperate the Germans were during the final months of the war, I can see this thing being mounted to a truck for extra mobility and ease of operation.
Chris

Reply With Quote top
Old 10-16-2010, 10:29 AM
vBench

Hi Chris!

....superb project!...I'll be following with a big interest...

Regards!

Luiz.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-16-2010, 10:29 PM
vBench

Just begun assembling the chassis frame for the truck today. I sanded down all the mold lines on the frame prepping for some basic details to follow later. I did some simple work to enhance the towing pintle as this could use some extra detail. I added some plastic rod, sheet, and resin blots to the hitch area to mimic the details seen in the Kagero book. I also plan to add some simple wire and plumbing to the frame.

Reply With Quote top
Old 10-18-2010, 09:09 AM
vBench

Nice start...keep it up
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-21-2010, 01:00 PM
vBench

Here is a progress update on the build so far. I have completed the chassis frame which was a simple affair with no trouble at all. I have added the hydraulic lines and e-break cables for the rear brake drums along with a brain plug for the dif cover. The large style tool box was mounted onto the frame from the lion roar set which has some outstanding detail as assembles very easily. My only complaint about lion roar’s set is the working hinges; these are quit fiddly to work with and require a steady hand to work with them. I instead took a short cut and glued the hinges in the position I wanted and bent the hinges to shapes. I moved onto the cab and replace the dash with the new photo etch part which has better detail on it. All the injector pin marks in the cab have been filled in and waiting to sand smooth in prepping for paint which should come in the next few days.

Reply With Quote top
Old 10-21-2010, 02:10 PM
vBench

Looking good Chris.

http://vincesgallery.smugmug.com/His...66126800_VT9zD

http://vincesgallery.smugmug.com/His...92694198_EzYmu

I hope that these photos might be of use to you.

Tim
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-21-2010, 02:35 PM
vBench

Holly crap Tim, those pictures do help alot. Exactly what I have been looking for since I'm too cheap to buy books that deals in stuff like this, I would rather spend my money on details parts and kits and just use the net for the pictures.

Thanks alot,
Chris
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-21-2010, 02:48 PM
vBench

No problem, glad to be of assistance. It is surprising how many reference photos are on the Internet. You just have to know where to look.

I came across these photos while building the old Italeri Blitz, which is still in progress.

Have you seen Terry's review of the Tamiya kit?

http://www.perthmilitarymodelling.co.../tam35291.html

Tim
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-21-2010, 03:01 PM
vBench

Perth is one of the sites saved under my favorites that I check out on a regural basis. I've tried different possible combinations to search for photos on the blitz, but fell short of what I was looking for, but thanks for your help.
Chris
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-24-2010, 07:51 PM
vBench

Here is an update just prior to painting beginning tomorrow. I just finished up detailing the rest of the cab and adding the last bit of parts needed. On the rear of the cab I added to small storage bins to the top of the wall used for maps and papers. This was made from plastic strips cut to size. I went ahead and added the clutch pedal to the floor board and hoping this part will not break off during painting. The dash was finished out with an electrical button just below the dash at the center. Another thing I added was the turn signal switch on the stirring column; this was made from plastic strip and rod. One thing I have notice is some of the trucks have the switch and some do not. Another weird thing is I have also seen Mercedes parts used on the blitz, I am guess some of the parts were interchangeable between them. Work also started on the flak gun and had to modify it just a bit so that the gun receiver could fit into the cradle just right. Here you can see that I assembled one of the crew figures for the gun which needs some slight surgery on the legs to make them seem more natural and fit better. Other than that I will be starting to paint the cab so I can move onto the rest of the truck.

Last edited by kruppw; 10-24-2010 at 07:54 PM.
Reply With Quote top