Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Photos: In-progress Blogs

Photos: In-progress Blogs Post your in-progress photos in a blog-style topic!
Request vBench Photo Upload Access

Old 03-23-2006, 05:11 PM
vBench

Tonight I've been trying to solve the sliding sight cover puzzle or jigsaw more like. This is what I have achieved so far:
Added small strips to around periscope hole. Actually the hole is too wide but I didn't bother to change it. Hasegawa's version is nicer as it has separate sliding cover.

I decided to do plates from 0,4 x 0,5 mm strips. With a very scientific method I calculated that length of front plates are 3,1 mm and rear plates 3,8 mm long. Don't ask about the method :lol
As I wanted to make sure all pieces are same length, I made a small jig for both sizes. This way it was easy to cut needed pieces.

The REAL problem is that actual plates in JgPzIV were trapezoid shaped in cross-section:

So with Hold and Fold I created a kind of jig by adding a piece lead foil properly folded. First a diagram of jigred pieces are Hold and Fold and black is lead foil)

and here a pic of it:

Small plastic strip in place ready for slicing:

With this simulated pic it should be clear what I'm trying to do. If not, my efforts are in vain. Notice the position of knife:

More pics when I have glued pieces in place.

Niko
Old 04-17-2006, 03:12 PM
vBench

After a break back to tank workbench I got a new book just for this baby and I hope this will give some boost to finish it.

I got myself to glue these little pieces in place. Looks quite nice from a distance:

Commander's hatch itself is ok but periscope cover sucks big time so off it goes. A hole it leaves is too big so I have added some strip to it. I'm going to redo the whole closing mechanism as well.

Loader's hatch is actually quite nice but still incorrectly rendered in kit as with step. I will do a new one. This is the original part:

Niko
Old 04-17-2006, 05:52 PM
vBench

I want to depict hatches open so hinges need to be reconstructed. I start with loader's hatch by doing the actual hinges first.

After a series of unsuccesful attempts to bend plasticard strips:

I came up with an easier solution: by bending carefully a thin piece of stretched sprue and flattening it with vice I get suitable curved pieces:

I connected two similarily curved pieces with 2,5 mm width plastic piece. This is the distance of hinges of each other. I rolled 0,1 mm wire to small SS piece to imitate spring. Now I have a hinge ready for use:

I haven't glued it in place yet as I will finish the actual hatch first with grab handle and loking mechanism.

Br,

Niko
Old 04-17-2006, 08:26 PM
vBench

Hi Niko,

Great to see your updated again...Great work
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-18-2006, 01:48 AM
vBench

Marco,
thanks I try to get speed once again to this

Niko
Old 05-25-2006, 05:59 AM
vBench

Here is some work I manged to do last night during our modeller's evening

I cut some 1,0 mm brass tube for swivel parts. Spring is wire from electric motor windings.

This is something I'm not totally happy yet. All 4 rods are in place but those don't sit just right.

Niko
Old 05-28-2006, 04:42 PM
vBench

Once again my shitty camera doesn't show all the things I want it to show. Or maybe it's only a good thing

I added side skirt brackets. Not of much to be seen after I've added the actual skirts. I glued only one bracket to shiedl itself, others to hull.

Left side:

Right side:

Drilled holes for rain cover hooks. First I used 0,2 mm drill bit but managed to break it So next one in the list was 0,25 mm that is just a bit too thick. Nothing smaller available so that had to do. I'm using 0,2 mm brass wire by Lionroar just to see if it is useful. It is ok but not thin enough. Well, next time back to thinner wire. I also have to develop some kind of jig so I can get all holes evenly. Now it looks like cat trail in the snow.
Old 05-28-2006, 05:08 PM
vBench

Good job. Especially because of the small size.

Siim

Reply With Quote top
Old 05-29-2006, 06:44 AM
vBench

Quote:
Originally posted by Panzergrenadier@May 28 2006, 05:08 PM
Good job. Especially because of the small size.

Siim
Thanks

Niko
Old 08-15-2006, 07:34 AM
vBench

Some update for this.
I've been struggling with side skirts and tried to figure out how to make hangers without getting Eduard's PE set.

This is the solution. I made a jig for alum strips to be bent. This way those should be same size. Counter part in jig is identical in size with hangers.

Strip with one kink made already:

With some very sophisticated tools I place strip in:

Another bend. Important thing is to make it go straight:

With another ruler I press other side firmly to make the hanger loop:

Result: