Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Photos: In-progress Blogs

Photos: In-progress Blogs Post your in-progress photos in a blog-style topic!
Request vBench Photo Upload Access

Old 02-04-2006, 02:01 AM
Kevin

so sososososooooooooo! I've found all of my previously saved photos, and my first panzer is the Tamiya jagdpanzer IV/70. I bought the kit over the internet (lucky models) then got a ton of help thanks to ebay (barrell, aber and eduard photo etch) as well as help from mr. Tears at M-L as well as eduard (due to me losing a fret of P-E).. so as this is almost half done i'll set the photos in here and let you see how far I got!
Weensie: Yes she is. See, I'm the first one to go to college in my family and when I left she said, "Weensie, if you screw this up, I'll kill you." She showed me the knife.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-04-2006, 02:04 AM
Kevin

aaaaaaaaah.. can someone help me here...all of my photos are sitting here on my hard drive, not on a connectable website, how do I put them up on this? This is sort of a rediculous question, but Im totally stumped and I want to get these up quick...any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Kevin
Weensie: Yes she is. See, I'm the first one to go to college in my family and when I left she said, "Weensie, if you screw this up, I'll kill you." She showed me the knife.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-04-2006, 02:10 AM
vBench

Sounds cool. To post some pics, you can get an account at photobucket and upload them there, then copy and paste the image tag into you message.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-04-2006, 02:40 AM
Kevin

ok so done, now: Mr. Tears from M-L sent me a very lovely "care package" full of goodies for the suspension and rear-end details. here are the first photos of both of those:

Reply With Quote top
Old 02-04-2006, 02:41 AM
Kevin

well hell....what did i do wrong?
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-04-2006, 02:47 AM
Kevin

so so okay new try, here are 3 photos of the suspension which I had to modify. Thanks to Mr. Tears from M-L, I was able to upgrade pretty much everything to how the J-P should be!

photobucket!

and heres another photo of the rear end with the new back plate mounted:

photobucket!

lets see if these show up
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-04-2006, 02:54 AM
Kevin

so crap, not as i hoped but still,

everything looked rosy, and then I noticed that, I have installed 3 top rollers instead of 4, meaning this is a "late" model, but yet Ive left on the rubber wheels and even went so far as to add on the early model large exhaust. (totally stupid on my part, as I had steel wheels, but they, to my eye, looked "too big" for this, so I didnt add them... of course later on I saw my mistake and regretted it, but eh balls halls whatever!)

so, heres some more photos of the undercarrage!

and then, totally halfway through everything, I realized that theres a monster opening between the lower half and top half of the model, and that I'd need to take care of that so that everything goes together smoothly. Luckily I had a ton of plastic sheet around so I measured out the length and width of the hole and whatever else and cut things out accordingly. making sure that everything fit right was tricky, but thankfully theres multiple hatches and whatever else available for fingers, knives, tweezers and whatever else to help make sure that everything fits into place as it should. Here is a photo of the end effect:

Reply With Quote top
Old 02-04-2006, 03:15 AM
Kevin

as you see, I had to reposition the front sprockets so that everything fit as to how I "assumed" it would ( no heavy measurements, just look and check to make sure that things fit right...) I then began working on the superstructure, which has also become part of a problem as the Tamiya version has the self-defense attachment molded onto the superstructure. I used my sprue clippers to cut this off, then hobby patched the hole which was left with plastic card and Testors contour putty (which is a helpful substance, but more orless totally useless).

The problem of me doing this is that I then had to sand the entire area a ton, and me being very long-sighted, already glued on the parts for the sight area, the bolts around the commander and loaders hatches ( commanders hatch takes 13, the loaders takes 8 bolts, respectively.)

I then worked on texturing the gun fitting and its attached fittings, I did this using the famous glue and stiff brush technique. I did not however sand it afterwards, as how I did it, gave it quite the effect I wanted, and it really doesnt need to be sanded, if you all think differently, please let me know!

It was then that I posted a ton of photos up on M-L. I then recieved a message from Dinesh Ned regarding moving the gunners sight further to the left. My first thought was to just position the gun to a position as to say that that is where the gunner wants to shoot. But that sadly was kind of short sighted.

I then, very reluctantly, figured where the gun sight should be (after eyeballing Mr. Neds Jpz. models, amongst others) and then using my hand drill (tiny bits, fitting into my nr. 11 saw handle) began to make my new opening. I was worried about finding a new sight, but that was taken care of as I found a new one on the sprue from my Dragon StuG IV kit (the one with the boxtop of the stug driving through a flaming village....this kit has come to help me many many many times..) so here are some pictures of the top

here you can see where i moved the sight to

Doing this, I had to remove those P-E sections which form the sight slide fitting. doing this, I noticed by many many many JpzIV photos that these were not some kind of peaked thing like what is molded on in most of the kits, but rather flat, sheet steel fittings which hold the armored slide for the sight in place. to fix this error, I once again turned to the sprue cutters and sand paper, also employing needle files and other parts in order to get everything to be level and fit right (which it now does, and it looks gorgeous... I will talk to my father and have him take some photos of it all for me and then post them here..)

and finally, here is the jgdpz at the point where i had to stop (due to me flying to germany for university). the barrel is jordi rubio, got it on ebay for a killer price, was quite happy, had to bore out the gun mantlet a bit, but it fits quite perfectly, almost too much so.

Reply With Quote top
Old 02-04-2006, 12:15 PM
vBench

Location: I know a guy who sells t-shirts at a nearby location to Willy's grave.
Send a message via Skype™ to Larry Bates
Nice job Kevin

I got an early jagd IV that I'm going to turn into a late. Yours is looking nice, good job on the periscope thing.

Larry

Opening Laz's World on Ice next summer, no franchises. Just cold ice, and figure skaters, ring side bar service.

Reply With Quote top
Old 02-05-2006, 05:46 PM
Kevin

Thanks Larry,

Yeah, the periscope deal was done with lots of reluctance, mainly because I had NO clue how to fill in that monster hole that was left. But I accomplished that by stuffing a ton of plastic card in and then filling everything in with Testors Compound. The new hole turned out to be quite easy to do after drilling 4 holes and then carefully scribing it out with my knife.

Sadly I wasnt able to drag all of my projects with me when I moved to Germany, but the second I recieve financial aid, Im going to buy some new kits here and start up again.

Kevin
Reply With Quote top